East Weare Battery is a derelict Victorian gun battery overlooking Portland Harbour which it was built to protect, and sits below the cliff to the east of the Verne Citadel.
The battery has sections from A to F, with the overall condition varying from poor to good. The 'E' section of the battery has become a scheduled monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. In May 1993, the same section of the battery also became Grade II Listed.
The battery area also features the DISTEX site (Disaster Relief Exercise), which is often referred to as Forbidden City locally. This part is built within the battery, for the use of the Royal Navy to conduct training. Above part of the battery, and the DISTEX site, is East Weare Camp, which was built in the 1880s as detention barracks, and was then converted to coastguard use in 1914. It is also Grade II Listed.
Information by kind permission of Portland History © Ashley Smith