Wells Cathedral, is an Anglican cathedral dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle and the seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. It is the mother church of the diocese and contains the bishop's throne (cathedra).
It was built between 1175 and 1490, replacing an earlier church built on the same site in 705. It is moderately sized among the medieval cathedrals of England but with its broad west front and large central tower, it is the dominant feature of its small cathedral city and a landmark in the Somerset countryside.
Wells Cathedral has been described as "unquestionably one of the most beautiful" and as "the most poetic" of English cathedrals.