The Verne High Angle Battery is a derelict Victorian gun battery built in 1892. The battery is situated close to the Verne Citadel (ex H.M. Prison, The Verne) and Fancy's Family Farm (ex-RAF Portland ROTOR Radar Station).
The battery, as part of the Verne Citadel, became a scheduled monument in 1973, and remains protected to date under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The battery was also Grade II Listed in May 1993.
Information by kind permission of Portland History © Asley Smith