Portland's underground Naval Headquarters and Communications Centre is situated at the rear of Portland Harbour's dockyard, close to the inner breakwater arm.
With the outbreak of World War II, plans were developed for a naval headquarters and communications centre to be constructed at Portland. The underground centre was to be built into the hillside of East Weares and in 1940, contractors began excavating the two pairs of entrance tunnels. Both led to a series of rooms from where all operations would take place.
The centre was completed by 1941 and would be designated as a sub-command of the Commander in Chief, Portsmouth at Fort Southwick. The fort itself, known as Portsmouth Naval Headquarters, was completed in late 1942 as a naval control centre for wartime use.
Information by kind permission of Portland History © Ashley Smith