abp-portfolio-header-lyme-regis-the-three-cups

The Three Cups Hotel in Lyme Regis dates from 1807. It became a listed building on 23 April 1952 and since its closure in May 1990, the hotel's owners - Palmers Brewery of Bridport allowed this historic building to fall into a derelict state.

In recent years, they announced plans to demolish the significantly historic rear of the building and replace it with retail units and a restaurant, with private accommodation. Since then, a campaign was launched to restore and re-open the hotel because of its importance to the history of Lyme Regis.

The Three Cups has an association with many famous literary and historical figures. It is believed that Jane Austen stayed in Hiscott’s Boarding house on the same site in 1804. The hotel has played host to many famous and influential people including Alfred Lord Tennyson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Hilaire Belloc, G.K. Chesterton and J.R.R. Tolkien who spent several holidays there.

In 1944, General Eisenhower delivered an important briefing to senior officers in the first floor lounge prior to D-Day. The building is of significant architectural and historical interest being mentioned in Pevsner’s Buildings of England volume on Dorset. The hotel was also used in the making of the film The French Lieutenant’s Woman in 1981, featuring Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep.

Loading Images